You may remember I posted about making this leather-covered diary, for my friend Su?
I added these three more to my tally…
Black tussah silk cover, with raspberry tussah silk quarter binding and decorative end-papers. Made for Debbie.
Red-sprigged cotton bookcloth cover, with raspberry tussah silk quarter binding and red end-papers. Made for Mandy.
They came out really well and I am very proud of them!
I will definitely make some more books with this kind of binding – journals next I think - but I will plan for 2012 diaries, which I will start making in August next year, so I can have a number of them ready to put in my Etsy shop and some for Christmas gifts also!
I really enjoyed the whole process of making these, even though it was rather tricky to work out the diary printing. It’s not simple to print the pages, as you can’t just print the whole diary as one set of pages to fold over – it would be too thick.
There were four seperate sections to each diary, where the pages had to run in order once they were folded. This means that the first page in a-section contained the Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday/Notes pages for a week, with the next four days – Monday-Thursday – overleaf. But the other part of that page – on the right – contained the Friday/Sat/Sunday/Notes for a completely different month, with the next Monday-Thursday overleaf, then the next pages had to continue on from there, with dates getting closer together as you get to the middle of the section.
The next section did this all over again, then the next. The final section also has note pages and address pages, so they also had to be set up correctly. It was a bit of a challenge (alright a head-ache) at times, but I did get it right in the end.
At least I have the structure set up now, so I can re-do the files for next year’s dates. Then I just have to remember how to print them correctly!