Friday 20 March 2015

Wednesday Worktable - 18th March 2015 - and More Leather!

This is my contribution to WOYWW (What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday), over at JuliaDunnit's Blog. Each Wednesday, Julia invites fellow crafters and bloggers to show a photo or two of their worktables, and explain what they've been doing. 

I've missed a few weeks, as it's been pretty busy here. What's more, today is actually Friday and I'm late for this week too!  However, I have made a few things during my busy spell and my worktable was busy this week, so I thought I would show you what's been going on here.  I'm afraid they're all "finished" photos now, as I forgot to take my In Progress desk shot - sorry!

Zebra

This notebook is a gift for a friend.  I was in Cambridge for a day last week and spent some time in the wonderful Fitzwilliam Museum.  This card was for sale in their shop.  It's an image from an old Russian matchbox; the museum has a number of these matchboxes, all decorated with interesting and artistic designs. 
My friend loves all things Zebra, so I bought the card, then decided to add a section of paper and make it into a useful notebook for her bag.   I haven't given it to her yet - I hope she will like it! 



 Red Leather Sketchbook 

This is another gift - it must be Giving Nice Things to your Friends Week! 
A lovely artist I know did something wonderful for me last week.  I decided I would love to send her a present, to show how much I appreciate her, as she's become a lovely friend over the past few months. Bright red and turquoise are a common theme in her colour palette and somehow I associate them with her, so I chose a bright piece of red leather and some beautiful deep turquoise handmade Thai tissue to line it.  I cut pages from smooth white drawing paper and special cold-pressed watercolour paper, then stitched it all together.  



A couple more shots, to show off its loveliness.  I really like this book and was so excited to send it off.  

The book was finished and ready to send - in fact she has now received it and was as surprised and pleased as I had hoped! 

These two have now been replaced with some more piles of paper and leather - more journals on the way. Watch this space!  
* * *

That's my contribution to the WOYWW Story this week - thanks for reading.  

Why not pop over to Julia's Stamping Ground and see what else is going on in the crafting world?

6 comments:

  1. Nice work happy WOYWW
    Peggy #72

    ReplyDelete
  2. The notebook is really gorgeous! Love the bright colours... and the zebra is wonderful. I love those old, graphic images and the Russian characters give it that special look, gorgeous! Thanks for your visit to my blog earlier. Yes, I started working on the folded strip for the mini journal.. finally! I haven't brought mini art journals to fairs before so I don't know if they will sell... my handbind books that I sell are all blank but some have coloured pages (like light green or pink) I love that colour of ink - I bought me a similar colour Stazon a while ago ('teal blue') and am very happy with it! Happy (belated) woyww and a hug from Holland, Marit #45

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using a greeting card as a journal cover. However, my absolute favorite here is that gorgeous red leather bound sketchbook you made for your artist friend. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a vibrant contrast, that red and blue ... and I love your Zebra journal. I also know someone for whom zebras are important, and I'd love to give her a journal like that so if you are ever making another one, can you let me know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That zebra cover is delightful!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great presents for your friends I am sure they will be thrilled.
    The leather is a great book and something I have been playing with too as I recently did a leather course.
    The idea of using a gift card and adding a signature of paper to it is a great idea-so simple but so effective.
    Thanks for visiting my desk already
    Kyla #16

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...