It's by no means done yet - the new storage solution needs to be organised and it could definitely do with seeing a vacuum cleaner (DH will carry it upstairs for me!!), but it's a Definite Improvement.
The boxes that were on the shelves are now stacked neatly against the back wall. At least I can now get to my stuff - and as I had already labelled them, I can see which box I need straight away - woo-hoo!
The wall above the desk still looks scary... huge holes to be filled and painted over...
... but the desk is pretty tidy now and I can work at it.
I got out that photo album project today, to see what I could do with it. Two of the 12 pages were ruined, but the others are fine. The cover boards are undamaged and the interleaves are fine. The sheet of paper I was going to use for the cover did have a hole in it, so I will use it for a smaller project - it wasn't going to look right anyway, as the design didn't line up as I wanted. I now have another plan for that book and this afternoon I bought another sheet of card to replace the spoiled pages. I may even give it extra pages!!
Then I started on another book, which is currently on my desk, under weights, all cut and ready to sew tomorrow. It will be similar to this, which I recently sold in my Etsy shop:
This is the same paper that I was going to use for the photograph album, but the covers are smaller, so the design lines up really well. The binding will be slightly different, but overall it's a very similar book. I'm excited about it, as the original was really lovely - I hope this one will be too!
So, my desk is back in use and I'm coping okay without my extra work table. I didn't like the blank wall with holes that is now above my desk, so I decorated it up a bit: