This should have been posted last night, but it was dark and I couldn't get a decent photo of the layout - pink does not photograph well in artificial light!
I made it at Scrap Club yesterday. It was partly for a Challenge on Shimelle's blog, for (Inter)National Scrapbooking Day, but also because I have wanted to scrap this photo since the end of March, when it was taken.
However, the story-behind-the-photo is more than that. For a start, this was my First workshop. It was the first time I have planned and taught a class of this kind to children. I've taught adults before, as part of my job; I also helped in school for 5 years, while DS was younger, assisting with general maths, English etc, hearing and supporting the children's reading, helping in the "Design & Technology" lessons - anything from sewing to building models with pieces of wood etc, etc... But this was my first children's workshop, thought up, planned and executed entirely by myself! I feel rather proud of that - so this page is partly to document that fact.
The other half of the story, though, is about the students. They were a great bunch of girls, ranging in age from 9 to 14. Their skills varied enormously, with a couple of the older girls being pretty accomplished needle-workers, whereas two or three of the others struggled - one girl in particular. However, with one exception, all the children took home at least one completed Creature, with several having a part-completed one, to take home and finish. The "exception" did struggle a lot; her sewing ability was very limited and she had problems with planning and visualising the process of creating her creature. She made a fairly major mistake, which I helped her to work round and rectify. She had to unpick and re-stitch (I helped a bit with that too). However, I was so impressed by her determination and effort - she may have struggled, but she persevered. I sent her home with several pieces of model, drawings to help her attach head, limbs etc and sufficient bits & pieces to make it look nice. She said her parents would be able to help her - I so hope they did!
So, I was proud of me, but also of my students. One young lady found a striped sock and turned it into a fabulous bumble bee; another made a cute monster, with a bow on its ear; there were several rabbits - all starting with the same design, but all so different and all so cute!
It was just a wonderful day and I really wanted to record it.
I'm going to print this Post out and stick it to the back of the page, as I didn't have room to journal all this on the front - the journalling just says "My first Workshop Day, teaching 9-14 year-olds to make Sock Creatures. It was a great success and the 11 students completed 13 creatures betwen them, with two or three more taken home, to be completed there. We had Fun!" - that's all true, but I want to record the whole story for ever!